Holmwood
House is the finest and most elaborate residential villa designed by the
Scottish architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson. It is also rare in
retaining much of its original interior decor, and being open to the public. A
Category A listed building, the villa is located at 61–63 Netherlee Road,
Cathcart, in the southern suburbs of Glasgow, and is owned by the National
Trust for Scotland.
Holmwood
is considered to be immensely influential by several architectural historians,
because the design as published in Villa and Cottage Architecture: select
examples of country and suburban residence recently erected in 1868 may have influenced Frank Lloyd
Wright and other proto-modernist architects.
History
Holmwood
was constructed for James Couper, a paper manufacturer in 1857–1858. Couper and
his brother Robert owned the Millholm paper mill in the valley of the White
Water of Cart immediately below the villa. The principal rooms of Holmwood were
orientated towards the view of Cathcart Castle (demolished in 1980). The cost
of the house was £2,608:4:11d; the coach house, greenhouse & outbuildings
cost a further £1,009:19:6d; and the gates an additional £75:2:0d
The
polychromatic decoration was designed by Thomson and executed by Campbell Tait
Bowie. The most notable survival is in the dining room which has a frieze of
panels enlarged from John Flaxman's illustrations of Homer's Iliad. The
sculpture on the hall chimneypiece was by George Mossman.
Holmwood
was altered in the 1920s by the owner, James Gray. After World War II it was
purchased by a local vet, James McElhone and his family, wife Betty and
children: Rosemary, James, Helen and Paul.
In 1931,
Thomas Redden Patterson purchased the house and settled there with his wife,
Margaret Malcolm Dumbreck Forrester. Together, they established Forresters
(Outfitters) Ltd a prominent Glasgow-based firm—founded in 1955 to continue the
legacy of Margaret’s earlier business, Margaret Forrester, Drapers, which had
operated on London Road. The company remained a respected name in local retail
until its acquisition by House of Fraser Ltd in 1984.
Beyond
their entrepreneurial ventures, the Pattersons also owned a yacht moored in
Greenock, which notably took part in the Dunkirk evacuation. Thomas Patterson’s
contributions to public life in Glasgow were formally recognised in the Queen’s
Birthday Honours List of 1954 (CBE).
Holmwood
was eventually sold to the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions who obliterated
much of the original decoration with plain paint. The gardener's cottage was
demolished in the 1970s; the grounds and those of an adjacent villa were used
for a Catholic primary school.
The nuns
put the property on the market in the early 1990s, and there was a danger that
the grounds would be developed for housing, destroying the setting of the
villa. Following an appeal, Holmwood was acquired by the National Trust for
Scotland in 1994 with the support of £1.5million from the National Heritage
Memorial Fund.[3] It was restored by Page\Park Architects in 1997–1998. Their
work included undoing the 1920s alterations and rebuilding the connecting
screen wall to the coach house. Patrick Baty carried out the paint analysis.


.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment