Saturday, 22 August 2026
Friday, 21 August 2026
Thursday, 20 August 2026
BREAKING: Prince Harry and Meghan to return to live in the UK
Prince
Harry and Meghan ‘moving back to Britain this month’
Reports
say Duke and Duchess of Sussex intend to relocate from US, with children to
start British school in September
Caroline
Davies and Nadeem Badshah
Thu 20
Aug 2026 08.32 BST
The Duke
and Duchess of Sussex are planning to return to live in Britain, six years
after leaving for the US, it is understood.
The
couple and their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet,
five, are expected to relocate later in August to a non-royal residence.
The
property is believed to be outside London, and the children are enrolled to
start school in September, the Daily Telegraph and the Sun have reported.
King
Charles was reportedly informed on Sunday that his son and daughter-in-law
would return to Britain.
It comes
after the Sussexes, who have lived in California since 2020, had a reunion with
the king last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire.
The king
is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of his family in a personal
capacity but there will be no change in their status as private individuals
after relinquishing their official working roles within the royal family.
The
couple will not be offered a “half-in half-out” option, it is understood, with
that having been firmly rejected by the late Queen Elizabeth II at the
so-called Sandringham summit in 2020, which thrashed out the terms of their
departure from the UK and resulted in them officially stepping down as senior
royals and no longer using their HRH titles.
There has
been no official comment from the Sussexes.
The
Prince and Princess of Wales are said to have also been informed of the
decision.
William
remains estranged from his brother after criticism by the couple aimed at him,
Catherine, Charles and Camilla since their departure from the UK.
Former
BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the couple’s return would have
left William, the future king, “apoplectic”.
“In the
long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two
rival courts, William’s and Harry’s. In the short term, Harry will be able to
deepen his rapprochement with his father. And his presence back home will make
it harder for his brother to duck a reconciliation,” Hunt told the PA news
agency.
“The
surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic.”
The
Sussexes are expected to retain their homes in Montecito, California, and
Portugal, where they went on holiday earlier this summer.
The duke
and duchess’s security arrangements have not been disclosed.
The
long-running issue over their security meant that Prince Harry did not bring
Meghan, 45, or their children to events in London last month, as had been
originally planned.
Prince
Harry, 41, has previously stressed he would not feel safe bringing his family
back to the UK without police protection.
The
Sussexes are not eligible to receive taxpayer-funded protection while in the
UK, other than when within royal residences.
A Home
Office spokesperson said on Wednesday night: “The UK government’s protective
security system is rigorous and proportionate.
“It is
our longstanding policy not to provide detailed information on those
arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect
individuals’ security.”
Decisions
on security for members of the royal family and other key public figures are
taken by the executive committee for the protection of royalty and public
figures, whose membership includes the Home Office, Metropolitan police and the
royal household, who work together to advise the independent chair in making
decisions, which are informed by expert risk assessments and in line with
government policy.
In May
2025, after losing a legal challenge over his security in the UK, the Duke of
Sussex said: “I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children
back to the UK at this point.”
In an
interview with the BBC after the ruling, Prince Harry said he “would love a
reconciliation” with the royal family. He said: “There have been so many
disagreements between myself and some of my family,” but that he had now
“forgiven” them.
“I would
love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point continuing to fight any
more, life is precious.”
Prince
Harry added that the dispute over his security had “always been the sticking
point”.
Asked
whether he had asked the king to intervene in the dispute over security, he
said: “I never asked him to intervene – I asked him to step out of the way and
let the experts do their jobs.”
In July,
the Duke of Sussex and six other co-claimants lost their privacy case against
the publishers of the Daily Mail in London. The claimants, who included Doreen
Lawrence and Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Ltd over allegations of
unlawful information gathering. Their claims were dismissed in their entirety
by Mr Justice Nicklin.
Last year
the Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a fresh multi-year film and television
deal with Netflix, after media reports suggested poor viewing figures meant the
streaming company might not renew its contract with them.
Harry and
Meghan struck the original five-year deal in 2020, reportedly worth $100m
(£78m), which resulted in a number of projects, including the duchess’s
lifestyle series With Love, Meghan.
Not all
the couple’s forays into content creation have been commercially successful. In
2023, a $20m deal they had signed with Spotify to produce podcasts came to an
end after just 12 episodes.
A YouGov
poll in July found that only 22% of Britons saw Meghan in a positive light,
compared with 65% who hold an unfavourable opinion of the former actor, with
33% seeing Harry positively and 58% negatively.
The
education secretary, Lucy Powell, said she hoped the move would be “part of a
bigger reconciliation” for the royal family.
“I think
that the vast majority of your listeners will welcome that news and – they
obviously are not working royals any more – and want to come back to this
country,” she told LBC radio.
“I assume
because we do have great schools, great education, that’s why many people do
return to this country and choose this country to bring up their children in.
“And I
hope that this is all part of a bigger reconciliation for the family because
you know the royal family is very important to this country and to our
reputation around the world, and you know I for one think it’s great to have
Harry and Meghan and their family back here.”
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Suedeheads and Skinheads at The Ivy Shop
REVIEW: JOHN SIMONS – A MODERNIST DOCUMENTARY
on June 13,
2018
https://www.modculture.co.uk/review-john-simons-a-modernist-documentary/
The man,
the legend and the clothes. A new DVD looks at the life and work of John
Simons, with the appropriate title of A Modernist. We obviously wanted to take
a look.
I remember
my first visit to the John Simons shop. I dragged my girlfriend (now wife) to a
corner of Covent Garden and into one of the few shops that wasn’t packed with
tourists or fashionistas.
The man
himself was behind the counter and could’t have been more helpful. After a bit
of browsing, I bagged a pair of Weejuns (and I still have that original bag)
and left knowing it wouldn’t be my last visit, despite living at the other end
of the country. It was a place like nowhere else then and now.
The shop
has moved since, as it has done in the past, but the legend and the clothes
remain. In fact, John Simons’ stock has never been higher.
It might
well go up a few notches after the release of this particular labour of love, a
documentary by Lee Cogswell, Mark Baxter and Jason Jules, looking at a man who
has survived in the fickle world of fashion for around six decades by simply
staying faithful to the timeless styles he loves.
Simons’
career is almost a timeline of modern culture, starting out at a time when
youth culture was really just beginning after the malaise of the post-war
years, working the windows of key retailers as a youth and was a result,
getting hands on with the American labels that were coming to the fore and onto
the shelves.
From
dressing windows to selling clothes, it seemed the obvious step, with Simons
talking about his first move to the markets with Clothesville, selling fashion
to the Mods in ’63 (pea coats, slim trousers and cord jackets for example),
moving onto the Ivy Shop in Richmond in 1964 and expanding the range to include
raincoats, Harringtons (yes, JS did give the jacket its name) and button-downs,
some made locally and sourced in the US.
The latter
is probably what made the John Simons ‘brand’ and something that still makes
him relevant to new generations today. John had the ‘eye’, heading to America
to pick out what he saw as the items that would work for UK customers and in
its earlier days, whether that was the mods, the skinheads, the suedeheads or
any any other sharply dressed youth or gent.
He curates
a range that has appealed to youth cults and over time, an older crowd who
still want that considered and timeless ivy look or those who want a slight
re-invention of the modernist look sported by the jazz icons of the 1950s.
Over time
some authentic vintage has made it to the shelves, as well as own brand goods
from the Apparel Company offshoot, designed to appeal to both younger
generations and more established customers. At the end of the day, John Simons
still sells a classic and standout look for all ages, whether that was from the
Squire Shop in Soho in ’67, Covent Garden a couple of decades later or the
Chiltern Street store of the modern era, which is now being run by John’s son
Paul.
If you want
some meat put on the bones of that story, you need this DVD.
Essentially
this is a tribute to John Simons and the concept he has created in the words of
both John Simons himself and some of his regular customers and for want of a
better word, his ‘fans’.
Those
people include the likes of Kevin Rowland and Paul Weller (both of whom have
taken the ivy look to the masses with their respective bands), along with
Suggs, Robert Elms, art expert Ronnie Archer Morgan, GQ’s Dylan Jones,
advertising guru Sir John Hegarty and clothing maker and retailer Sir Paul
Smith.
But not
just the big names, the DVD also has the input of fans and customers, including
some passionate words from John Wild (aka Bomber from the old Modculture
forums). Oh, and John Simons himself along with son Paul, the current manager.
All have
their own their own take on and memories of John Simons, whether that’s from
the Ivy Shop, Soho shopping at Squire or stumbling into the store in Covent
Garden in the ’80s, painting a picture of the shopping experience, the clothes
they picked up and the youth cults that kept the tills busy.
But what
really sells the DVD and in turn, John Simons itself, is the passion and the
enthusiasm for John Simons throughout. This is a DVD that will have you
re-evaluating your wardrobe, browsing the Simons website and checking the train
times for a day trip down.
If you have
any interest in mod, you’ll know that buzz of excitement you get when you find
that item of clothing, whether it’s the perfect button down, the jacket, or the
loafers. That must-have item regardless of how low your bank account is.
That’s the
kind of ‘buzz’ you get from this DVD. The mix of words, archive imagery and
modern-day ‘sweeps’ of the store racks really do showcase everything that is
great about the retailer and his philosophy. If you’ve looked at John Simons or
read about the clothes and haven’t quite ‘got’ what it’s all about, then this
is the documentary for you.
A wonderful
overview of a man who has been under the radar for too long. At least, for
those who aren’t in the know. One comment in the DVD suggested there should be
a statue of John for the work he’s done over the years. That might be a bit
extreme, as both the shop and this DVD are tribute enough to the man and his
passion.
Go buy it.





