Thursday, 12 April 2012

Le comte Boni de Castellane and Anna Gould

Paul Ernest Boniface de Castellane (February 14, 1867 – October 20, 1932)
He married Anna Gould (1875–1961), the daughter of Jay Gould, the robber baron, on March 14, 1895 in Manhattan, New York.
They divorced in 1906, after Boniface had spent about $10 million of her family's money. Boniface then sought an annulment from the Vatican in 1924.
"Though his wife was extremely plain, Anna Gould had a dowry of fifteen million dollars. Bolstered by this, Boni de Castellane devoted himself to the art of dandyism, spending those millions lavishly on the construction of the Palais Rose, a pink marble palace in the Avenue du Bois fitted with a staircase as grand as that of the Opera, an immense ballroom and a private theatre with five hundred seats; maintaining two châteaux in the country, a villa at Deauville and a 1600-ton yacht; buying priceless works of art; and becoming the best dressed man in Europe. Despite his spendthrift behavior, Comte Boni was a person of polish and culture, who could converse on any subject. His only crime was to have been born in the wrong century, for he adored the court of eighteenth century Versailles, and did anything to recreate the bygone era. His reign came to an abrupt end, however, in 1906 when he arrived home to discover the electricity out. After eleven years of marriage, five children and the spending of $10 million of her dowry, Anna Gould had filed for divorce. She cut off his funds, threw him out of his houses and sent his clothes, his only remaining fortune, to him in care of his parents and shortly thereafter, married his cousin" ( in )


Time magazine wrote on April 13, 1925:
Probably not since Henry VIII tried in vain to get an annulment of his marriage with Catherine of Aragon has a matrimonial case been so long in the courts of the Roman Catholic Church as that on which nine Cardinals have just handed down a final decision. The male in this case is the son of one of France's most historic houses − Le Comte Boni de Castellane. The female is the daughter of a United States stockbroker, the late Jay Gould − the present Anna, Marquise de Talleyrand Périgord, Duchesse de Sagan. On March 14, 1895, Anna became La Comtesse de Castellane by a marriage solemnized in Manhattan by the late Archbishop Corrigan. After three children were born, La Comtesse obtained a civil divorce from Le Comte on grounds of infidelity. In 1908, she married Le Marquis de Talleyrand Périgord, Duc de Sagan. Thereupon, Le Comte asked the Vatican to annul the marriage, apparently that he might be free to marry again, within the Church.
Trial I. The Roman Rota upheld the marriage in 1911. Le Comte appealed.
Trial II. Anna refused to be represented at this trial. The marriage was declared void. Anna appealed.
Trial III. The marriage was declared valid. Le Comte appealed from the Rota to Pope Benedict XV.
Trial IV. The case was laid before a Commission of the Apostolic Signatura − the supreme tribunal of the Church. Six cardinals composed the commission. They held the marriage valid. Le Comte appealed to Pope Pius XI.
Trial V. The Commission declared the marriage invalid. Anna appealed to the Pope who, to settle it once and forever, assigned three extra cardinals to the commission.
Trial VI was before Cardinals De Lai (Italian), Pompilj (Italian), Van Rossum (Dutch), Sbaretti (Italian), Silj (Italian), Bisleti (Italian), Sincere (Italian), Lega (Italian), Mori (Italian). The marriage was held valid. Formal proclamation will soon be issued.

Anna Gould (June 5, 1875 – November 30, 1961) was an American heiress and socialite, the daughter of financier Jay Gould.

Anna Gould, Dollar Princess

The superficial lifestyles of the rich and famous piqued Elia Peattie, so when the 1895 wedding of Anna Gould engaged newspapers across the United States, before, during, and long after the celebrated affair, she used the excesses of the event to extol the simple life. Anna was said to have been short, petulant, and not especially pretty, her fortune was much sought after by eligible bachelors, especially European nobility. At the turn of the century, glamorous women from wealthy American families were called "dollar princesses," for they traded their money for titles. Author Edith Wharton called them "buccaneers" and satirized them in her novels.
The Omaha World-Herald, as well as newspapers around the world, crammed their columns with stories about the sensational wedding, especially its expenses. One headline proclaimed: "It Will Cost Her $160,000 to Wed the Imported French Count." The lead noted: "For the last month Miss Anna Gould has been spending her income every single day. She has $15,000,000 in all, $600,000 a year, $50,000 a month and nearly $2,000 every twenty-four hours. This is the first time in twenty-one years that she has been able to get through with the vast sum of money which her careful old father, Jay Gould, piled up for her."
Reporters wrote in lavish detail of Anna's satin and lace wedding dress as well as her dark green, silk, going-away gown that was trimmed in mink and ermine, but focused most intently on her jewels. Her veil fell from a forty thousand dollar coronet of emeralds and diamonds, a gift from her brother. But this was nothing compared to the gift designed by the count to catch the lace on her bodice: "Two hundred and fifty large diamonds and two immense emeralds, the latter costing $14,000 each. . . .Double chains of diamonds run right and left, fastening high up at the shoulders, caught at one end by three diamond feathers, and at the other by a small copy of the center piece, also holding an emerald." Anna also wore a necklace of diamonds, a gift from her sister, from which hung another gift from the count, a large emerald suspended in a hoop of white diamonds.
Anna's trousseau, for which twelve large trunks were constructed, consisted of "dresses to walk in, to dance in and talk in, and especially dresses in which to do nothing at all." The array consisted of three dozen matinee and tea gowns and house dresses, each one costing hundreds of dollars. Her handmade lingerie, three dozen of each article, all ruffled and embroidered, cost three thousand dollars.
In her "A Word with the Women" column on March 7, 1895, Peattie not only satirized the rich for their conspicuous consumption, but also the journalists who played up such decadence. Although Peattie hoped for a happy marriage for Anna, in her heart she knew Anna was doomed. So did nearly everyone else. New York reporter Will Clemens, after describing the wedding and the history of the Castellane family, wrote prophetically, "Ah, yes, the whole thing may be a sweet little international love story, but somehow it is hard to think so, and the pageant today and all the other features of the affair make it look a simple case of cash for a coronet. And Jay Gould lying in his coffin-what of him? Can't you almost imagine you hear his skeleton hands beating at the glass at the thought of so large a share of his millions going into the keeping of a French ninny who wouldn't be able to tell a bull movement from a bear plunge with a Lick telescope? Jay, despite what was said of him, was always an American."
As it turned out, Anna's marriage was a disaster, but through no fault of her own. Her husband spent money extravagantly, even for the Goulds, buying and furnishing homes with art and antiques, purchasing a sixteen hundred ton yacht that required a crew of over ninety, and giving lavish parties for guests that often numbered in the thousands where he served only the best foods and wines. Anna's family publicly denounced him, and soon, due to his habit of not paying his bills and his flagrant infidelity, she divorced him. She married the Duke of Tallyrand, who had his own money, and the couple lived happily ever after. ( Elia W. Peattie, journalist )

1875 Birth of Anna Gould
1895 Marriage to Paul Ernest Boniface (1867–1932) Comte de Castellane, on March 14
1908 Marriage to Hélie de Talleyrand-Périgord
1929 Suicide of Howard de Talleyrand, her son
1932 Death of Paul Ernest Boniface, her husband
1932 Awarded the Cross of the French Legion of Honor
1937 Death of Hélie de Talleyrand-Périgord, her husband
1939 Return to the US and lives in Lyndhurst at her father's estate
1961 Death of Anna Gould

"Talleyrand Motel". Time (magazine). June 3, 1929. "Prince of Sagan, son of the Duchess de Talleyrand, who was Anna, the daughter of the late wealthy Jay Gould, shot himself on purpose in his mother's Paris home. The press did not get wind of the story until last week. When the press came, the Duchess was ready with a frank, detailed and—most important of all—entirely literate statement; one that prevented garbling by scandal-monging journals. The statement said: "The Duke and Duchess de Talleyrand regret keenly to announce the critical illness of their son, Howard. ... He shot himself because we refused him permission to marry until he was 21. ... The shooting took place in our home and our son was taken to a hospital in the Rue Puccini. ... Our son is now in an extremely grave condition. We wish to emphasize that we had no objection to the girl, but only opposed the marriage because of our son's age.""
"Anna Gould's son, self-wounded, dies. Howard de Talleyrand, Prince de Sagan, 19, Succumbs in Paris After 11 Days. Parent's at his Bedside.". New York Times. May 29, 1929. "Paris, May 28, 1929. Howard de Talleyrand, Prince de Sagan, 19-year old son of the Duc de Talleyrand and the former Anna Gould, died early this morning following a self-inflicted wound on May 17 after his parents had refused him immediate permission to marry."

Le palais Rose de l'avenue Foch était un hôtel particulier aujourd'hui disparu, situé au no 40 (aujourd'hui no 50) de l'avenue Foch dans le 16e arrondissement de Paris et édifié de 1896 à 1902 par l'architecte Ernest Sanson pour le comte Boniface de Castellane et son épouse née Anna Gould.

Le 18 mai 1895, Boniface de Castellane achète un terrain de 3 500 m² dans le quartier le plus élégant de Paris, propriété de Georges-Auguste Hesbert, situé alors au no 40 avenue du Bois - devenu no 50 avenue Foch -, au no 94 - aujourd'hui no 124 - avenue de Malakoff, au no 1 rue Duret, ainsi qu'au no 5 et 9 rue Piccini.
Le 26 octobre 1895, il acquit un second terrain contigu de 1 002 m² ayant appartenu successivement à Edmond-Ernest Hublot puis au baron Auguste-Louis Ferdinand Creuzé de Lesser. L'année suivante, son épouse rachète une parcelle totale de 5 700 m² pour la somme de 3 625 000 francs.
Le couple commanditaire s'adresse à Ernest Sanson dans le but d'édifier sur ce terrain une demeure inspirée du Grand Trianon de Versailles. Connu pour l'ampleur et la qualité de ses travaux, le maître d'œuvre reconstruisit, en 1900, le château de Belœil en Belgique dont l'escalier d'honneur fut jugé « digne de Versailles ».
Sanson eut comme collaborateur René Sergent, promoteur le plus fameux du style Louis XVI-Ritz, une des dernières manifestations du néo-classicisme français.

Le permis de construire fut délivré le 16 mars 1896 et la première pierre posée le 20 avril de la même année.
La construction dura six ans. La façade sur l'avenue Foch était très directement inspirée du Grand Trianon, dont elle reprenait les baies en plein cintre, les pilastres de marbre rose, la balustrade dissimulant les toitures et jusqu'aux ferronneries. Le maître d'ouvrage avait poussé le souci du détail jusqu'à faire venir le marbre des carrières utilisées au xviie siècle par Louis XIV.
L'entrée principale donnait sur l'avenue de Malakoff. Après avoir traversé la cour d'honneur, trois portes donnaient accès à un grand vestibule dallé et décoré de marbres polychromes. Sa voûte surbaissée comportait, à chaque extrémité, de petits escaliers à trois volées menant aux appartements privés et entresols de service.
Au-delà du vestibule, on pouvait admirer le grand escalier d'honneur, pièce maîtresse du Palais et magistrale adaptation du célèbre escalier dit des Ambassadeurs du château de Versailles, construit de 1627 à 1678 par François d'Orbay (1634-1697) et détruit en 1752 ; une première copie en avait déjà été réalisée en 1876 par l'architecte Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur (1822-1893) au palais Rothschild de Vienne, une seconde en 1878 par Dollmann et Hoffmann au château de Herrenchiemsee, une troisième et dernière par Flanneau, en 1906, au palais Egmont d'Arenberg à Bruxelles.
On cite également dans ce genre les escaliers des anciens hôtels de Boisgelin (actuelle ambassade d'Italie) et Potocki (actuelle Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris), ayant mis en œuvres 7 et 8 variétés différentes de marbres.
L'historien et académicien Pierre de Nolhac évoque ainsi cette entreprise :
« Il préparait alors cet hôtel qui reproduit le rez-de-chaussée du Grand Trianon exhaussé d'un étage (…) cet escalier évidemment démesuré que sa fantaisie grandiose voulut s'offrir (…) il y tenta de reproduire le grand degré de Louis XIV, connu sous le nom d'escalier des Ambassadeurs, et dont tout un album de la Chalcographie du Louvre a conservé les détails. Les dimensions et la reproduction architecturale sont d'une heureuse réussite, bien qu'il manque à la copie la splendeur des bas-reliefs et des peintures. Le Tout-Paris d'alors a assisté à la brillante fête d'inauguration de cet immense vaisseau de marbre que le Paris d'aujourd'hui ne connaît plus. Mais le singulier de l'histoire, c'est que Boni était arrivé à croire qu'il réalisait un puissant projet de Louis XIV, que celui-ci faute d'argent, n'avait pu exécuter (…) (alors qu') il n'en avait pas moins fait l'admiration de l'Europe pendant soixante-dix ans. » (" La résurrection de Versailles - Souvenirs d'un conservateur, 1887-1920 " Plon, 1937, p. 212).
Les deux volées de marbre - rouge pour les marches et noir pour les rampes - desservaient à l'étage noble avec, d'un côté, la salle à manger ornée de boiseries couleur vert d'eau, s'inspirant de celles du "Pavillon Français" du Grand Trianon et pouvant accueillir 180 invités, un jardin d'hiver et un petit théâtre, et de l'autre, le "Salon des Arts" glorifiant l'Architecture, la Peinture, la Sculpture et la Musique. Ce dernier s'inspirait du "Salon de la Guerre" de Versailles. Une longue galerie reliait les deux pièces.
La décoration était due à "la meilleure main-d'œuvre dans sa spécialité" - le maître-décorateur d'Espouy, auteur des peintures des plafonds et voûtes, dont celle du grand escalier ("les Cinq Continents", d'après Charles Le Brun), les sculpteurs Cruchet (décorations de la voûte du vestibule) et Aubé (bas-reliefs du grand salon), Felz (bibliothèque), le doreur Fourier (grande galerie), le marbrier Huvé - fut l'objet d'une recherche et d'un soin tout particuliers.
Les clients, particulièrement exigeants, firent reprendre les façades à deux reprises, car le marbre italien « s'affadissait sous le ciel parisien », et la hauteur des fenêtres, afin qu'elles éclairent bien les pièces. On alla même jusqu'à peindre un trompe-l'œil en faux marbre sur du marbre véritable afin d'obtenir les nuances recherchées…
La fortune colossale d'Anna Gould permit de prodiguer l'argent sans compter et l'édifice, type-même de l'Hôtel de l'Amateur, coûta la somme énorme de quatre millions de francs-or. D'une somptuosité déjà anachronique à l'apogée de la Belle Époque, le palais Rose ne fut jamais complètement terminé : lors de sa démolition, il restait encore des calques sur certains plafonds et des corniches supportaient des marques au fusain.
Le bâtiment était pourvu de tout le confort moderne. Le sous-sol, réservé au service, comprenait notamment une épicerie, une pâtisserie et même les chambres des domestiques qui y bénéficiaient de l'eau courante et du chauffage central.

Le Palais Rose fut inauguré en 1902 et les Castellane y donnèrent, jusqu'en 1906, des réceptions fastueuses accueillant jusqu'à 2 000 invités à l'exemple de la fête donnée en l'honneur des souverains d'Espagne et du Portugal, le 12 décembre 1905.
En janvier 1906, sur les instances de sa famille américaine fort inquiète des ruineuses prodigalités de son époux - qui avait également acquis en 1899, puis restauré et meublé le château du Marais dans l'Essonne) ainsi que celui de Grignan dans la Drôme - la comtesse demanda et obtint une séparation de corps, suivi du divorce, prononcé le 5 novembre suivant.
Anna Gould se remaria avec Hélie de Talleyrand-Périgord (1859-1937) duc de Talleyrand et prince de Sagan, cousin de Boni, dont le chiffre fut alors effacé du Palais Rose, où l'on monta des boiseries Louis XV dans le petit salon et aménagea des chambres d'invités dans le petit théâtre.
En 1939, alors veuve depuis peu, la duchesse partit pour les États-Unis.
De 1940 à 1944, le Palais meublé fut occupé par le général Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel, commandant du "Gross Paris".
Il fut mis ensuite à la disposition du gouvernement français qui, en 1949, y organisa la "conférence des Quatre Grands" sur le problème allemand et, en 1955, un conseil des ministres des Affaires étrangères.
La duchesse pensa un moment le léguer à l'Académie Charles-Cros présidée par son ami Arthur Honegger, dont la mort fit échouer le projet. Elle-même disparut à 86 ans, en 1961.
Au début de l'année 1962 et en raison de l'indivision successorale, ses cinq héritières - dont sa fille Helen-Violette (1915-2003), successivement en 1937 comtesse James de Pourtalès puis en 1964, Madame Gaston Palewski - mirent en vente l'immeuble pour une somme évaluée entre 40 et 50 millions de "nouveaux francs".
Il fut suggéré au gouvernement de le classer monument historique, demande que repoussa la Commission supérieure des monuments historiques, « en raison de (son) absence de valeur archéologique » et du fait que l'ouvrage se trouvait hors du périmètre du site classé de l'avenue Foch.
Une association de sauvegarde se constitua alors. Échouèrent successivement les projets d'en faire la résidence des hôtes de marque de l'État ou de la ville de Paris, celui de la ville de Neuilly-sur-Seine d'y créer un palais de la Culture, le siège de l'ambassade de République populaire de Chine, nouvellement reconnue, un centre international de conférences ou encore - idée alors très avant-gardiste - d'un musée consacrée au xixe siècle - réalisé plus tard dans l'ancienne gare d'Orsay (qui fut elle aussi menacée de disparition) - tout comme son démontage et sa reconstruction dans le bois de Boulogne qui aurait coûté dix millions de francs.

Un compromis fut établi par la suite avec André Remondet, architecte-conseil de la Ville qui prévoyait de conserver l'escalier d'honneur et la façade sur l'avenue Foch, mais cette demi-mesure fut refusée par le Conseil des Bâtiments de France.
En 1968, la Ville de Paris repoussa l'offre d'achat. Il fut finalement vendu à M. Tullio Deromedi, entrepreneur de travaux publics qui, avant même la signature du permis de démolir, fit dès le printemps 1969 déposer stucs, glaces, boiseries, plaques de marbre et devantures de cheminées ; les déprédations furent alors nombreuses, des particuliers subtilisant des poignées de porte et autres éléments, dont la grande fontaine du jardin d'hiver.
L'acquéreur se réserva et fit remonter pour lui-même certains éléments dont les marches de l'escalier d'honneur - pesant chacune une demi-tonne - les balustrades et la piscine de marbre blanc dans sa propriété de Pontgouin près de Chartres, avant de mettre en vente le reste des vestiges.
Les collections d'art réparties entre les co-héritières, les œuvres « mineures » furent dispersées dans plusieurs ventes aux enchères publiques au palais Galliera à Paris, où les quatre lanternes dorées du vestibule atteignirent la somme de 40 000 francs.
Lors de la démolition du gros-œuvre au bélier, de juin à septembre 1969, les ouvriers trouvèrent dans des placards sous combles une série de costumes masculins et féminins, des livrées, des chaussures, des livres et de la correspondance.

No comments: