Monday 25 July 2022

Kate Moss, model / Desert Island Discs

 


Kate Moss, model

Desert Island Discs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019jv2

 

Kate Moss came to fame in the 1990s, and her distinctive look went on to embody the era of Cool Britannia. She has appeared on the cover of hundreds of magazines and starred in campaigns for many of the top fashion houses. She has made cameos on film and television and inspired artists including Lucian Freud, Tracey Emin and Marc Quinn.

 

Kate was born in Croydon in 1974. When she was 14, she was spotted at JFK airport by Sarah Doukas who signed her to her modelling agency. Two years later Kate was on the cover of the style magazine the Face – one of a series of photographs shot on Camber Sands by Corinne Day. The images were raw and natural and Kate’s slight, delicate build, in stark contrast to the curvaceous supermodel silhouette that had defined the decade, heralded a new era in modelling.

 

Kate moved on to high profile campaigns for the designers Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs. In 1993 she appeared on the cover of British Vogue for the first time. Later her waif-like figure attracted criticism from some commentators who thought some of her photographs glamorised thinness.

 

In 2013 Kate received a Special Recognition award at the British Fashion Awards, acknowledging her 25-year contribution to fashion. Kate set up her own talent agency in 2016 and one of the agency’s first signings was her daughter Lila.

 

Presenter: Lauren Laverne

Producer: Paula McGinley






Kate Moss ‘sick and angry’ at being made a scapegoat for taking cocaine

 

The British supermodel talks candidly on BBC radio’s Desert Island Discs about her drug use, defending Johnny Depp and being ‘objectified and scared’

 

Vanessa Thorpe

Sun 24 Jul 2022 06.30 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2022/jul/24/kate-moss-desert-island-discs-cocaine-use-johnny-depp

 

Kate Moss, one of the world’s most famous models, has spoken of her anger at the condemnation she received after publication of photographs of her taking cocaine in 2005. She took the blame, she believes, for the widespread acceptability of drug-taking in her circle.

 

“I felt sick and was quite angry,” the British supermodel revealed on Sunday in a rare radio interview, “because everybody I knew took drugs. So for them to focus on me, and to try to take my daughter away, I thought was really hypocritical.”

 

Although Moss was not charged for the offence, and she kept her daughter, Lila, she lost lucrative contracts with several top brands and later said “sorry” formally in a public statement. “I had to apologise really, if people were looking up to me,” she told Lauren Laverne, host of BBC Radio 4’s long-running Desert Island Discs programme.

 

For 30 years, Moss, 48, has represented the summit of British cool. But the woman whose motto “never complain, never explain” was borrowed from her former boyfriend, Johnny Depp, used the interview to speak out about the anxiety that crippled her teenage modelling years and of the abuse and mistreatment she suffered in the industry.

 

Moss also explained her decision to speak up for Depp in his recent American libel case against his ex-wife, Amber Heard, and talks about defending her old friend, the British fashion designer John Galliano, who was found guilty of racist abuse in 2011.

 

“I believe in the truth and I believe in fairness and justice,” she said. Her appearance at Depp’s trial was prompted by a wish to set the record straight. “I know the truth about Johnny,” Moss said. “I know he never kicked me down the stairs. I had to say that truth.”

 

The urge to stand by Galliano came from her belief that he is “not a bad person – he had an alcohol problem and people turn.”

 

“People aren’t themselves when they drink,” suggested Moss, “and they say things that they would never say when they were sober.”

 

At 14 years old, Moss was approached on an aeroplane journey by the owner of the Storm modelling agency, but she didn’t imagine herself as a model. “I thought it was vain,” Moss said.

 

The start of her career in 1988 was traumatic and “a hard slog”, she recalled. She had to travel across cities alone for photographing castings. At 15, she had the “horrible experience” of being asked to take off her top for a bra catalogue shoot. “I was really shy then about my body, and I could feel there was something wrong, so I got my stuff and I ran away.”

 

She says the experience “sharpened her instincts” – “I can tell a wrong ’un a mile away.”

 

Her 16-year-old face was suddenly in international demand after a photographic session for The Face magazine on Camber Sands in Sussex with her photographer friend, the late Corinne Day.

 

Moss admits crying “a lot” about being naked. “She [Day] would say, ‘If you don’t take your top off, I am not going to book you for Elle. It is painful. I loved her, she was my best friend, but she was a tricky person. But the pictures are amazing, so she got what she wanted and I suffered for them, but in the end they did me a world of good really. They changed my career.”

 

The American designer Calvin Klein chose Moss for a 1992 underwear campaign as a result, but her memories of this job, posing with actor Mark Wahlberg in New York, are “not good”. She took Valium for her anxiety to get out of bed for work.

 

Topless again, Moss felt “objectified and vulnerable and scared”, she told Laverne, adding: “They played on my vulnerability. Calvin loved that.”

 

Her friend Day was responsible for the controversial images taken for Vogue magazine a year later, which were decried for promoting “heroin chic”. Pictured in her own flat, the ever-slim Moss was shown in underwear. “I was a scapegoat for a lot of people’s problems,” Moss said. “I was never anorexic. I never have been. I had never taken heroin. I was thin because I didn’t get fed at shoots or in shows and I’d always been thin.”

 

A quote often attributed to Moss, that “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”, was not her own coinage, she said. It came from a note stuck to the fridge door in a flat, designed to dissuade a dieting friend from snacking.

 

Born in 1974 to a travel agent father, Peter, and “glamorous” mother, Linda, who worked part-time in a bar, Moss said she suspects she was quite lonely. Her looks were not remarked on at home, and her mother was surprised when modelling work came her daughter’s way.

 

Her unruly “headstrong” teenage behaviour worsened, Moss remembers, once her parents split up: “I started smoking spliff and I hung out with older boys,” she says, confessing she was full of sadness. “Yes, I was heartbroken ... it was all a bit dark.”

 

Moss set up her own modelling agency in 2016, signing up her own daughter early on. “I’ve said to her, ‘You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. If you don’t want to do this shoot, if you don’t feel comfortable, if you don’t want to model, don’t do it.’ I take care of my models. I make sure they’re with agents at shoots so when they’re being taken advantage of, someone is there to say, ‘I don’t think that’s appropriate’.”

 

Moss has moved her main home to her Cotswolds country house and reveals she has become obsessed with gardening. Partying, she says, is “boring to me now”, adding, “I’m not into being out of control any more.”


'He said "take your bra off"... I was 15': Supermodel Kate Moss reveals in unflinching detail how she fled a photoshoot in tears after being targeted by fashion industry predator as a teenager

Kate Moss tells Desert Island Discs that she was targeted by predators as a teen

At 15, the young model  was forced to run after being asked to remove a bra

Now 48, she says she was left in tears by photographers looking for topless pics

 

By CHRIS HASTINGS FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 00:01, 24 July 2022 | UPDATED: 00:45, 24 July 2022

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11042637/Desert-Island-Discs-Kate-Moss-targeted-predators-teen-model.html

 

As the queen of the catwalk for three decades, interview-shy Kate Moss has usually adopted the Queen’s famous unofficial motto: ‘Never complain, never explain.’

 

But in a candid interview on Desert Island Discs today, the supermodel reveals the toxic truth about exploitation in the fashion industry and how, as a young teenager, she was targeted by sexual predators.

 

Now 48, she recalls being reduced to tears by photographers who pressured her to go topless. At 15, the self-conscious teenager was even forced to flee one session when she was asked to remove her bra.

 

In a candid interview on Desert Island Discs today, the Kate Moss, pictured, reveals the toxic truth about exploitation in the fashion industry and how, as a young teenager, she was targeted by sexual predators. Pictured in 1993

 

In a candid interview on Desert Island Discs today, the Kate Moss, pictured, reveals the toxic truth about exploitation in the fashion industry and how, as a young teenager, she was targeted by sexual predators. Pictured in 1993

 

‘I had a horrible experience for a bra catalogue,’ she tells the BBC Radio 4 programme. ‘I was only 15 probably and he said, “Take your top off”, and I took my top off. And I was really shy then about my body.

 

‘And he said, “Take your bra off”, and I could feel there was something wrong so I got my stuff and I ran away. I think it sharpened my instincts. I can tell a wrong ’un a mile away.’

 

Teenaged Kate, who signed to the Storm modelling agency in 1988 at the age of 14, would travel across London unaccompanied, completing up to eight modelling assignments a day.

 

During the radio show, she speaks about the shoot in 1990 that made her famous – but admits that revisiting the memory remains ‘painful’.

 

During the radio show, she speaks about the shoot in 1990 that made her famous. Pictured during the Platinum Jubilee Pageant this year

 

During the radio show, she speaks about the shoot in 1990 that made her famous. Pictured during the Platinum Jubilee Pageant this year

 

The late photographer Corinne Day, with whom Moss often worked, shot a series of photographs for The Face magazine on the beach at Camber Sands, East Sussex, when she was 16.

 

Moss says: ‘That scrunched up nose that is on the cover, she would say, “Snort like a pig” to get that picture. And I would be like, “I don’t want to snort like a pig”, and she would be like, “Snort like a pig, that’s when it looks good”.’

 

The model recalls how she had ‘cried a lot’ during the shoot because she was uncomfortable about being ‘naked’, adding: ‘I didn’t want to take my top off.

 

‘I was really, really self-conscious about my body and she would say, “If you don’t take your top off I am not going to book you for Elle”, and I would cry. It is painful because she was my best friend and I really loved her – but she was a very tricky person to work with.

 

‘But... the pictures are amazing so she got what she wanted and I suffered for them, but in the end they did me a world of good, really. They did change my career.’

 

Moss also recalls shooting an underwear campaign for Calvin Klein in 1992 with Hollywood actor Mark Wahlberg, known at the time as Marky Mark. It was her first major advertising campaign but the then 17-year-old had to take Valium to ease her anxiety, caused by the prospect of going topless.

 

Asked by presenter Lauren Laverne if she felt objectified during the campaign, Moss replies: ‘Yes completely, and vulnerable and scared. I think they played on my vulnerability, and I was quite young and innocent, so Calvin loved that.’

 

Moss emerged from these early challenges to become one of the most iconic and powerful figures in international fashion, boasting an inner circle that includes some of the world’s biggest celebrities.

 

But the highs have been accompanied by lows and Moss speaks frankly about her battles with drink and drugs which almost derailed her career. She recalls her wild youth growing up in Croydon, South London, when she first went off the rails at 13 after her parents split.

 

She also reflects on the drugs scandal which threatened to destroy her career in 2005. She temporarily lost several lucrative contracts when a national newspaper published photos which appeared to show her taking cocaine

 

She also reflects on the drugs scandal which threatened to destroy her career in 2005. She temporarily lost several lucrative contracts when a national newspaper published photos which appeared to show her taking cocaine

 

‘I started smoking spliffs and hanging with people a lot older than me, a lot of older boys that kind of took me under their wing and protected me,’ she says.

 

‘They would take me to London on the train. I would get changed from my school uniform into clothes and go to Fred’s [a bar in Soho]. I didn’t even like the taste of alcohol.

 

‘I would drink Long Island Ice Teas because it didn’t taste of alcohol, but then of course it is a strong drink.’

 

She also reflects on the drugs scandal which threatened to destroy her career in 2005. She temporarily lost several lucrative contracts when a national newspaper published photos which appeared to show her taking cocaine.

 

Her career resumed, however, when police decided there was not enough evidence to take action.

 

‘I felt sick and was quite angry because everybody I knew took drugs so for them to focus on me and to try and take my daughter away, I thought was really hypocritical,’ she says.

 

The star also rejects the idea that she and Day deliberately created the hugely controversial look dubbed ‘heroin chic’ when they collaborated again on a shoot at the model’s home for Vogue in 1993.

 

‘I think I was a scapegoat for a lot of people’s problems,’ she says. ‘I was never anorexic, I never have been. I had never taken heroin.

 

‘I was thin because I didn’t get fed at shoots or in shows and I had always been thin. It was a fashion shoot. It was shot at my flat and that is how I could afford to live at the time.

 

‘And I think it was a shock because I wasn’t voluptuous and I was just a normal girl. I wasn’t a glamazon model, and that shocked them.’

 

Despite being one of the world’s most photographed women, Moss says she hates having her picture taken outside the workplace. Pictured in the early 1990's

 

Despite being one of the world’s most photographed women, Moss says she hates having her picture taken outside the workplace. Pictured in the early 1990's

 

Despite being one of the world’s most photographed women, Moss says she hates having her picture taken outside the workplace.

 

‘I am actually really shy in front of the camera. I don’t like having my picture taken when it’s not at work,’ she says. ‘I don’t like having selfies or snapshots. I find it difficult to be myself in front of a camera. I find it much easier to be somebody else.’

 

She has now set up her own model agency, which has on its books her 19-year-old daughter, Lila.

 

Moss, who recently sold her North London home to move to the Cotswolds, says she has ditched her ‘boring’ hedonistic lifestyle and discovered a new passion that she can share with her mother Linda.

 

‘I am obsessed with gardening,’ she says. ‘I have got a membership to the garden centre, and I go with my mum and we have the best time.’

 

Her musical choices for the show include George Harrison’s My Sweet Lord, Harvest Moon by Neil Young and a specially remixed version of Back To Life by Soul II Soul featuring Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir.

 

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is her book of choice and a cashmere blanket is her luxury item.

 

Desert Island Discs is on today at 11.15am and will be repeated on Friday at 9am.

 

Kate Moss reveals the truth about Johnny Depp — and her Freud tattoo — in Desert Island Discs

 

Lucian Freud left an indelible mark on Kate Moss when he inked a tattoo on her thigh while she was sitting for a portrait.

 

Recalling their friendship, she says that the celebrated artist, who died in 2011 aged 88, originally suggested a chicken upside down in a bucket for a design, but they settled on a more traditional image.

 

She says: ‘He gave me a bottle of really good Rothschild wine, and he got out his etching needle and scraped into my thigh a flock of birds which now look like varicose veins. But I am still probably the only living person with a Lucian Freud on my thigh.’

 

Lucian Freud left an indelible mark on Kate Moss when he inked a tattoo on her thigh while she was sitting for a portrait

 

Kate Moss also caused a sensation earlier this year when she gave video evidence in support of ex boyfriend Johnny Depp in his libel trial against Amber Heard, who had mentioned a rumour that the model had been pushed down the stairs by the actor when they were dating

 

Kate Moss also caused a sensation earlier this year when she gave video evidence in support of ex boyfriend Johnny Depp in his libel trial against Amber Heard, who had mentioned a rumour that the model had been pushed down the stairs by the actor when they were dating

 

For Freud’s acclaimed 2002 portrait, Moss posed nude while heavily pregnant with daughter Lila. The painting took around nine months to complete and was later sold to an anonymous bidder for £3.9 million.

 

Moss prides herself on her loyalty to friends. In 2011, she publicly defended fashion designer John Galliano when he was found guilty by a French court of making antisemitic comments.

 

She also caused a sensation earlier this year when she gave video evidence in support of ex boyfriend Johnny Depp in his libel trial against Amber Heard, who had mentioned a rumour that the model had been pushed down the stairs by the actor when they were dating.

 

Explaining her stance, Moss says: ‘I believe in the truth, and I believe in fairness and justice. I know that John Galliano is not a bad person – he had an alcohol problem and people turn. People aren’t themselves when they drink, and they say things that they would never say if they were sober.’

 

She adds: ‘I know the truth about Johnny [Depp]. I know he never kicked me down the stairs. I had to say that truth.’

 

Depp, who was in a relationship with Moss between 1994 and 1998, won the lawsuit against his ex wife Heard last month.


No comments: